Note by the Denver lock keepers
We have translated the 2021 tide tables into the chart below that shows the predicted time when tidal crossings will start from Denver to Salters lode, or vice versa. In reality the start times will vary slightly depending on the weather, fresh water flows, tidal surges etc: they are just predictions.
The times highlighted in red are the smaller neap tides and the times listed in black are the bigger spring tides.
- On spring tides you’ll be crossing on the ebb, after high water.
- Neap tides allow a much longer crossing window as we can lock either side of high water. The window will open on the flood tide, as soon as there’s enough water, and continue into the ebb.
We monitor the water level from the office constantly during locking so we can see exactly what’s going on, and when there won’t be sufficient water to make the crossing safely. The tidal window is also affected by the amount of silt outside Denver Sluice.
Please do ring well in advance of your journey (01366 382013 – this will divert to our mobiles when we are out of the office). We can then answer your questions. We will then also know the expected numbers on a given day and can arrange the best order for boats to lock through. This will depend on your destination and size of vessel:
- The Denver to Salters Lode transit
- The New Bedford river or 100ft to Earith,
- The tidal Ouse to Kings Lynn and the Wash.
Ben and Dan
Denver Complex 01366 382013
Denver lock 01366 382340 (only during lock operations)
Salters Lode 01366 382292